The Tarka Trail
The Tarka Trail in its entirety is a 290km figure '8' shaped long-distance route centered roughly on the town of Barnstaple in North Devon. It encompasses roads, footpaths, bridleways and cycleways. Our guide book focusses on the shared-use section between Braunton and Meeth; a completely car-free route for use by walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
This informative walking and cycling guide book is divided into 6, easy to use sections, each with its own detailed map. Our book is packed with helpful details such as the Trail's surface conditions, nearby parking facilities, local cycle hire businesses, bridleways, public toilets, great cafes and restaurants and accessibility information for less able users.
The 6 sections are:
Braunton to Barnstaple
Barnstaple to Fremington
Fremington to Instow
Instow to Bideford
Bideford to Torrington
Torrington to Meeth
Each section of the guide book has its own detailed map so you won't miss a thing.
Whether cycling , walking or exploring, it really is a great day out for all the family.
Join us on Facebook and Twitter
A complete guide to over 48km of car-free, former railway line in stunning North Devon
The Tarka Trail Guide is available now
Here's what people who have already bought the book are saying:
- A very useful little book, packed with information about the Tarka Trail. We have two holiday apartments near Dolton, on the Tarka Trail and I bought two copies for our guests to use. I am sure they will be well used. Jill N.
- Lovely, well designed and laid-out little book which tells you all you need to know about riding the Tarka Trail. I had a thoroughly enjoyable few days last year and will hopefully continue exploring next year. A must-have item for the cyclist.
- What a fab book. Pocket sized and full of interesting info.
The simple maps in particular are really useful giving info on where to find food, drink, benches, distances and more importantly, for this dog owner, the next poo bin! I like the fact that the maps show bus numbers especially as you can see which bus to catch back to the start if you fancy a walk and where bike hire/bike parks are if you fancy a cycle ride. I have lived in North Devon all my life and still found something that I didn't know. Perfect for residents of beautiful north Devon and visitors too. Geomaid
- Brilliant information book for great days out on the Tarka Trail. It contains everything you need to know, all in one place in handy size and format. We've taken our kids here on both foot and bike over many years and thought we knew it well, turns out, there's still more to explore! The book even mentions the famous ice-cream van parked up at the seafront in Instow - what local wouldn't recommend that pit-stop? Love it. Alison H.
- What a fantastic guide book! Great for both cyclists and walkers. Well laid out, simple to follow, a must have for anyone who wants to explore the Tarka Trail! Michael A.